Building Web Apps with HTML5 APIs
The one-day Building HTML5 API’s workshop takes you, the web developer, on a voyage of API discovery, gaining hands-on experience that will build your understanding of this game-changing platform.
HTML5 enables developers to build cross-device applications like never before.
The web is now a platform for applications, and understanding that platform is key to building the applications of the future.
The range of applications is huge. The HTML5 platform supports everything from graphics-intensive applications, to high-quality audio manipulation, to messaging apps, to game development, and even peer-to-peer video conferencing!
This one-day course takes developers through major HTML5 APIs that will be useful regardless of application domain. These focus on messaging and communications, storage, workers, and device and user interaction APIs.
Hands-on sessions enable attendees to practice and gain familiarity in using these powerful APIs.
On completion of this course, you will:
- Have gained familiarity with core HTML5 APIs
- Appreciate the trade-offs and choices in choosing between APIs
- Have built a number of example applications on the Web Platform
- Have had fun!
- The Web Platform
- Accessing Documentation
- Browser Compatibility
Messaging & Communications
- Using Cross-Document Messaging & Channel Messaging
- Web Sockets
- Server-Sent Events (SSE) / EventSource
- XMLHttpRequest (XHR) Level 2
- Using the Application Cache
- Accessing Files and the File System API
- Storing Key-Value Pairs in Web Storage
- Quota management
Improving Performance & User Experience with Timing
- Measuring Client-side Latency
- Instrumenting Web Apps
- Getting Performance Data with the Navigation API, Resource and User Timing APIs
- Using Web Workers
- Using Geolocation
- Improving User Experience with the Network Information API
- Other device APIs
- Fullscreen API
- Page Visibility API